March 24, 2015
While spring is struggling to maintain altitude in the northeast and midatlantic, we are keeping hearty soups on the menu. It was below freezing last night, will be again tonight, and again this coming weekend! Philadelphia forecasters warn that we won’t be able to put our snow shovels away for good until after April 15th!
Here is a photo from a lighting test for an upcoming cooking shoot on an icy day in southern Chester County, PA recently. This is Chez Dejardins’ Zuppa Toscana, a similar recipe below.
- 1 pound(s) Italian Sausage (spicy)
- WE RECOMMEND Esposito’s sausage, located in the heart of Philly’s Italian Market mmm
- 4-6 Russet Potatoes :bite sized cubes
- 1 Onion :minced
- 1/4 cup(s) REAL bacon pieces
- 2 tablespoon(s) Garlic :minced
- 32 ounce(s) Chicken Broth
- 1/2 bunch(es) Kale (or Swiss Chard) :destem & cut/torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup(s) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tablespoon(s) Flour
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 1. Brown sausage links in a sauté pan.
- 2. Cut links in half lengthwise, then cut slices.
- 3. Place sausage, chicken broth, garlic, potatoes and onion in slow cooker.
- Add just enough water to cover the vegetables and meat.
- 4. Cook on high 3-4 hours (low 5-6 hours) until potatoes are soft.
- 30 minutes before serving:
- 5. Mix flour into cream removing lumps.
- 6. Add cream and kale to the crock pot, stir.
- 7. Cook on high 30 minutes or until broth thickens slightly.
- 8. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
- 9*. Serve with Alsace, stoke the fire in the fire place, and nosh leisurely while gazing out over the hilly serenity of quintessential horse country in southern Chester County, PA
- *substitute for enjoying the best of your unique surroundings :)
March 20, 2015
I am cozy, hot coffee in-hand, in my creative nook today editing last night’s event shoot while listening to Neil Finn as the snow falls softly outside- this late in March! I can’t believe I’m hearing snow plows scraping along the curvy bend outside the house. It was 65° just three days ago! Some craggy old seasons truly don’t know when to let go, move on, stop it’s petty vanity and let the new season settle in- WE ARE ALL READY for it. Your grace has withered away and you have Long overstayed. Winter, you are OVER! As Neil Finn sings in his song Recluse, you are like a “dog pissing on a statue,” trying to mark your territory and get your last shots in before delving back down below the equator. Go bully another continent! Give us fresh flourishing sun-kissed Spring! Freedom and light and colour and life-giving inhales and exhales!
A morning glance from my personal Instagram account: My day lily looks forlornly out at the snowy vista. She was looking forward to being planted outside this weekend but we’ll likely wait another week.
I have seen the world turning
in time you’ll find that some things
travel faster than light
In time you’ll recognise that love is larger than life
-Neil Mullane Finn, Faster Than Light
We got to see Neil Finn perform last year on Apr 11th at the Keswick Theatre in Glenside, PA, front and center, and were sent home swooning on a moonbeam of love. Such a great show!
March 18, 2015
Whoever said New York City is bleak in winter never looks up!
March 17, 2015
For my old Savannah friends celebrating in arguably the 2nd largest St Patrick’s Day festivities in the States, no caption required.
©Alessandra Nicole 2015 | All Rights Reserved
Follow me on Instagram : @Alessandra_Official
March 16, 2015
March 7, 2015
March 4, 2015
It is March 4th and this week in southeastern Pennsylvania we have been experiencing the strangest winter weather yet.
A 3-day storm is moving through and has brought us water in every form! Yesterday, everything was quickly encased in an inch of solid ice. Today brought temps in the 40s so the lingering snow from last week began to melt which caused a magical fog. Tonight it has been raining torrentially and after midnight the rain is forecast to turn to snow that will bring upwards of 6″ in accumulation.
View these images on Alessandra’s Instagram: Alessandra_Official