While spring is struggling to maintain altitude in the northeast and midatlantic, we are keeping hearty soups on the menu. It was below freezing last night, will be again tonight, and again this coming weekend! Philadelphia forecasters warn that we won’t be able to put our snow shovels away for good until after April 15th!
Here is a photo from a lighting test for an upcoming cooking shoot on an icy day in southern Chester County, PA recently. This is Chez Dejardins’ Zuppa Toscana, a similar recipe below.
- 1 pound(s) Italian Sausage (spicy)
- WE RECOMMEND Esposito’s sausage, located in the heart of Philly’s Italian Market mmm
- 4-6 Russet Potatoes :bite sized cubes
- 1 Onion :minced
- 1/4 cup(s) REAL bacon pieces
- 2 tablespoon(s) Garlic :minced
- 32 ounce(s) Chicken Broth
- 1/2 bunch(es) Kale (or Swiss Chard) :destem & cut/torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup(s) Heavy Whipping Cream
- 2 tablespoon(s) Flour
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Hours, 30 Minutes
- 1. Brown sausage links in a sauté pan.
- 2. Cut links in half lengthwise, then cut slices.
- 3. Place sausage, chicken broth, garlic, potatoes and onion in slow cooker.
- Add just enough water to cover the vegetables and meat.
- 4. Cook on high 3-4 hours (low 5-6 hours) until potatoes are soft.
- 30 minutes before serving:
- 5. Mix flour into cream removing lumps.
- 6. Add cream and kale to the crock pot, stir.
- 7. Cook on high 30 minutes or until broth thickens slightly.
- 8. Add salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste.
- 9*. Serve with Alsace, stoke the fire in the fire place, and nosh leisurely while gazing out over the hilly serenity of quintessential horse country in southern Chester County, PA
- *substitute for enjoying the best of your unique surroundings 🙂